Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Wednesday, May 12

By some act of luck or magic or maybe just the rest set of hand gestures, I got a ticket to the Opening Ceremonies and the premiere of Woody Allen's Café Society. Half of which was amazing and all of which I am still completely in shock over.

But first, the films. I had intentions of seeing the early showing of Robert Greene's Kate Plays Christine, but, trains are hard and I didn't make it to Cannes until around 9:30. My first real film was Zack Whedon's Come and Find Me, a dramatic action film nudging into psychological thriller territory. And, yes, that is Zack Whedon, brother of the famed director Joss Whedon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Much Ado About Nothing and the Avenger films (I am told). But brother Zack definitely made a name for himself with his film. While the film had some problems organizationally, the aesthetics were there and the storyline was well executed. There were also some familiar faces, like Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, who played his character beautifully and was exciting to see in a festival setting. A quick stop back into Juan les Pins and I returned, gown in bag, to watch Andrew Rossi's The First Monday in May, a documentary about last years Met Gala and corresponding exhibition "China: Through the Looking Glass". Rossi did a beautiful job showing the more passionate and artistic side of the fashion industry.

From there, I made a quick costume change in the majestic bathroom of The Majestic Hotel and stood outside in the pouring rain with a quickly wilting sign and equally wilting confidence until a kind soul offered me his extra ticket. I don't know what that means is coming for me, karmically, but I'm ready for it. I feel so lucky to have been a part of the first premiere of the 69th Cannes Film Festival, I don't think I'll ever get over what an experience it was to be witness to those Opening Ceremonies. The pomp and circumstance of those things seem so frivolous from a screen but when you're in that theatre with all of those filmmakers and creatives that commit their lives to the art form, you can tell that it's honestly an earned tribute. The film itself paled in comparison to the ceremonies. Cafe Society promised wit, fun and 1930's fashion but delivered on almost none of it.

Cheers to the rest of the festival being as amazing and rewarding as today and to these posts being funnier in the future! I am tired and I am out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment